Black Forest Cake
|Black Forest Cake
Black Forest Cake, sometimes called by the French "gateau, gateaux or gâteau" (meaning "cake"), is a chocolate cake with a strong cherry element to it which is popular throughout North America. The recipe originates from Germany, where it is called Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte.
- 100g Irish butter
- 225g brown sugar
- 100g plain chocolate
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 125mL sour cream
- 3 tablespoons strong cold black coffee
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 100g cream flour
- pinch of salt
- 50g icing sugar
- 50g Irish butter
- 1 egg yolk
- a few drops of vanilla essence
- 500mL cream
- 500g tin black cherries
- 4 table spoons black cherry jam
- brandy or cherry juice
- 100g grated chocolate
- Cream butter and sugar together well.
- Melt the chocolate and beat into the creamed mixture, then mix in the eggs.
- Sift flour, salt and cinnamon together.
- Fold the dry mix lightly into the liquids, then fold in the sour cream and cold coffee.
- Into a lined and greased 9-inch round, deep tin pour the cake mixture and bake
at 190 degrees Celsius for 1 hour, 25 minutes.
- Set to cool on a wire rack.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and bind until the mixture stiffens.
- Roll the pastry onto a floured board worktable until pastry is about the same size as the base of the tin.
- Lay out on baking sheet and bake at 175 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes.
Notes, tips and variations
- Whip cream until it holds its shape.
- Put some cream into pastry piping bag with a star pipe attached, and reserve this for the decoration.
- Slice the cake into 3 equal-sized layers.
- Drain the cherries, reserve 8 for decoration and remove the stones from the remainder.
- Put pastry on serving plate and spread the pastry with black cherry jam.
- Soak the cakes with sprit used.
- Put one layer of cake on top of coated pastry.
- Spread a layer of cream with half the stoned cherries.
- Put the second layer of cake and add another layer of cream and cherries.
- Add the final layer of the cake.
- mask the entire cake with the remaining cream and press on the grated chocolate. Decorate the top with piped rosettes of cream and the reserved whole black cherries.
- Using 3 identical cake pans instead of 1 large is acceptable.
- Margarine, vegetable oil or regular butter will substitute for Irish butter.
- In some countries (e.g. Austria and Australia) the brandy is often replaced by rum, in Germany itself it is almost always replaced by Kirschwasser.
|Pay as you go
No monthly charges. Access for the price of a phone call
Flat rate dialup access from only £4.99 a month Go>
Surf faster from just £13.99 a month Go>
|Save Even More
Combine your phone and internet, and save on your phone calls
|This weeks hot offer
24: Series 5
In association with Amazon.co.uk £26.97